Cutty Sark blaze suspicious
A BLAZE which destroyed one of Britain's maritime treasures, the Cutty Sark, is being treated as suspicious.Firefighters said the blaze damaged the entire 19th century ship when it broke out in the early hours of today.
A BLAZE which destroyed one of Britain's maritime treasures, the Cutty Sark, is being treated as suspicious.
Firefighters said the blaze damaged the entire 19th century ship when it broke out in the early hours of today.
The wreckage of the ship will be inspected by investigators before the cause of the fire is likely to be discovered and announced.
Residents in Greenwich, south east London, where the ship is kept in a dry dock, were evacuated and police installed a 200-yard cordon around the ship after they were alerted to the blaze at around 4.45am.
The ship has been closed for a £25 million renovation and the Cutty Sark Trust said today that half of the planking had already been removed, along with all historic artefacts on board, for conservation work.
- 1 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 2 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 5 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 6 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 7 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
- 8 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 9 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 10 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested