Dad’s Army legend dies
Suffolk-based comedy legend David Croft has died at his holiday home in Portugal aged 89.
The creator of such television classics as Dad’s Army, Hi-de-Hi, ‘Allo, ‘Allo and Are You Being Served died peacefully in his sleep according to his family.
In a message posted on his web site his family said: “The family of comedy legend David Croft OBE are sad to report that David died peacefully in his sleep at his house in Portugal earlier today. He was a truly great man, who will be missed by all who had the great fortune of knowing and loving him. We know that he would of been proud that you had all been watching.”
David, who lived for most of his life at Honington Hall, near Bury St Edmunds, famously arranged for his hit television series to be filmed in East Anglia so he could work from home.
Dad’s Army was shot on location in and around Thetford while the classic holiday camp series Hi-de-Hi was filmed at Dovercourt. He was one of the few writers who also directed his own shows.
David Croft was famous for his “You Have Been Watching” photo captions at the end of his shows. In addition to his own series, he produced the Frankie Howerd series Up Pompeii scripted by Carry-On writer Talbot Rothwell.
But for many Dad’s Army will remain his masterwork. It was a towering achievement which is still being screened 40 years on.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food spots around Ipswich
- 7 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 8 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 9 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 10 Ipswich man found with indecent images of children is facing jail