Dad's fears over flooded BMXtrack
A father-of-two today voiced concern over a flooded BMX track where he fears a child could drown.
FELIXSTOWE: A father-of-two today voiced concern over a flooded BMX track where he fears a child could drown.
Council officials put fencing around the flooded dip and ramp on the Cavendish Park green at Felixstowe, but youngsters pulled it down to reach the track and play.
David Doyle, of Chelsworth Road, which backs on to the open space, said he was very worried about the state of the BMX site.
“Although there is a new skatepark not far away on Orwell Green, a lot of the smaller children who cannot use that still play on this track,” said Mr Doyle.
“All I want to do is to make sure the children of this area are safe.
“A child can drown in a very small amount of water and this flooded area is a real hazard.
- 1 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 2 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 3 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 4 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 5 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 6 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 7 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 8 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 9 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 10 Ipswich bus fares to increase after 'significant' drop in usage
“I have spoken to the council several times and they tell me they have been keeping an eye on it but I just want to see it pumped out and made safe.”
A Suffolk Coastal spokesman said initial investigations confirmed the drain was blocked but the amount of water present made it impossible to clear the drain.
Suffolk Coastal Services has now bought a pump which it will use to remove the water and then clear the drains.
“Previous attempts to get on the site to resolve the problem last week failed because vehicles were getting stuck in the boggy ground,” he said.
“We understand that once again over the weekend the safety fencing was pulled down and we would ask people to report anyone they see carrying out such stupid and mindless actions to report it immediately to both the police and Suffolk Coastal on 01394 444000.”
Should the old BMX track be removed now the town has a new skatepark? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org