Daredevils raise thousands for charity
IPSWICH: Hearts were pumping and palms sweating as hundreds of people stepped over the edge of one of the town’s tallest building to raise vital funds for charity.
Dozens of daredevils took to new heights during the weekend to abseil down the maternity block at Ipswich Hospital.
Fundraising enthusiasts of all ages scaled the heights of the hospital building in front of a crowd of applauding supporters.
Ranging in ages from 12 to 80, the event saw more than 500 intrepid residents test their limits as they walked over the edge of the nine storey building to a 150ft descent.
In its history, the event has raised more than �1.4million for more than 350 different charities and causes.
Among those braving the challenge was 80-year-old Shona Bendall, from Semer, who previously took part in the event ten years ago.
“I’m doing this for the National Lifeboat Institution – once I put my feet over the edge I’m fine,” she said.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 3 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 4 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 6 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 7 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 8 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
“Maybe I’ll do it again in ten years’ time.”
A spokesman for Main Event Group Activities (MEGA), the event organisers, said: “It was two fantastic days which everyone seemed to really enjoy.
“We look set to have raised more than �60,000 for a number of worthy causes.”
Teenager Robert Lancaster said the abseil had been “incredibly scary” but worth raising money for a town nursery school.
n Did you take part in the abseil? Tell us your stories – write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com
n See tomorrow’s Star for our Roll of Honour – dedicated to all of those who took part in the event.