David's an ace on the course
MANY golfers go through their playing days without scoring a single hole-in-one.But talented David Huggins, from Ipswich, has now achieved that feat three times - at the age of eight.
MANY golfers go through their playing days without scoring a single hole-in-one.
But talented David Huggins, from Ipswich, has now achieved that feat three times - at the age of eight.
The youngster registered his first ace when he was just four years old, just missing out on becoming the youngest ever golfer to score a hole-in-one.
At the age of six he repeated the extraordinary feat, equalling his dad Jonathan's own achievements.
And now he has gone one better and hit an amazing third ace - this time while playing a competition.
David was playing in a junior competition at Stonham Barns, near Stowmarket, on Sunday when he holed his tee shot on the 105-yard, par three, seventh using a nine iron.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 4 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 7 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 10 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
The Pipers Vale Primary School pupil, of Romney Road, was overjoyed at his rare accomplishment but knows there is a lot of hard work ahead if he is to emulate his golfing hero - world number one Tiger Woods.
“I was really happy,” he said. “My handicap at the moment is 28 but I want to try and get it down so I have to make sure I practice.
“My favourite player is Tiger Woods and one day I hope to be as good as him. But I know I have to practice.”
David, whose five-year-old brother Troy is hot on his golfing heels, is the youngest member of the full course at Ipswich Golf Club.
He scored his first hole-in-one aged four on the 105-yard sixth at Suffolk Golf and Water Park in Bramford.
In 2005 he was at it again at the 110-yard eighth hole, also at Stonham.
Proud dad Jonathan said: “It's the first time he's done it in a competition and I'm really chuffed for him, it was a special moment.
“He was absolutely delighted and started jumping up and down. When he first got the hole in one at the age of four we thought it must be some kind of record but unfortunately he was pipped by just a few days. However there can't be many out there at his age who have had three, it's just incredible. “