Day care centre activities at open day
CRAFTS, stalls and a raffle were just some of the activities taking place at Ipswich's largest day care centre for the over 60's.Foxhall Day Care Centre threw open its doors to visitors for three hours on Wednesday so people could see the facilities available and meet the over 60's.
CRAFTS, stalls and a raffle were just some of the activities taking place at Ipswich's largest day care centre for the over 60's.
Foxhall Day Care Centre threw open its doors to visitors for three hours on Wednesday so people could see the facilities available and meet the over 60's.
Around 40 people toured the building and supported the fundraising activities which included a raffle (with prizes donated by local businesses), tombolla and cake stalls.
The centre is staffed by 45 volunteers and offers armchair keep fit, music, crafts, carpet bowls, lunch, computing and chiropody to the 45 elderly members who visit every day.
Amanda Suttie, fundraising manager, said: "The open day was very successful. As well as fundraising activities it was to raise the profile of the centre.
"We have had quite a lot of visitors including Age Concern, social services, friends and relatives and hopefully future volunteers. It is hoped to have more open days in the future."
- 1 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 2 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 7 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
- 9 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 10 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
The 21-year-old centre, in Parliament Road, was decked out with balloons for the occasion.
The decorations will stay up for the jubilee celebrations which will include a week-long tea party from Sunday May 26 until Friday May 31 and musical entertainment from the last 50 years.
Over 250 members attend the centre every week for lunch, activities and companionship.
Anyone wanting to become a volunteer contact centre manager Sheryl Garnham on Ipswich 01473 – 724114.