Day care centre's future settled
PENSIONERS at the Foxhall Day Care Centre are celebrating today after its future was secured.The centre, which was established 23 years ago, is being taken over by Age Concern to ensure the community continues to benefit from the resource.
PENSIONERS at the Foxhall Day Care Centre are celebrating today after its future was secured.
The centre, which was established 23 years ago, is being taken over by Age Concern to ensure the community continues to benefit from the resource.
Amanda Suttie, fundraiser for the centre, in Parliament Road, Ipswich, said the facility is used by around 40 people a day and is vital as an escape for carers and patients.
She said: "We want to be able to continue to run the service and this will put us on a good secure footing for the future.
"We approached Age Concern to take over the running because it's very difficult to run a care centre independently and it's advantageous to be part of a bigger organisation."
The centre, which is run by a combination of full time members of staff and volunteers, cares for elderly residents by offering them refreshments, entertainment and attention.
- 1 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 5 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 6 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 9 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 10 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
A special country and western evening was held on Thursday for staff and volunteers past and present to celebrate the success of the day care centre. Richard Risebrow, mayor of Ipswich, was among the people invited to the gathering.
Age Concern is due to formally take over the running of the centre from April, although the members of staff will all retain their jobs.
Foxhall Day centre provides care for nearly 250 people per week. This is more than half of the total number of day care places in Ipswich.
The clients at the centre, which is open six days a week, all live independently in their homes. Many are referred by their family or social services.
Transport to and from the centre is provided along with a freshly cooked lunch and other refreshments, games, crafts and entertainment.
Assisted bathing in a specially adapted bathroom, hairdressing and chiropody is also offered. Prescription drugs and shopping is also fetched for the clients.