Day centre to make way for new homes
A POPULAR day centre will be demolished to make way for plush new facilities.Felixstowe Town Council's community hall on Orwell Road is well-used by the town's senior citizen population but in recent years parts of the building have had to be closed to the public due to its poor state of repairs.
A POPULAR day centre will be demolished to make way for plush new facilities.
Felixstowe Town Council's community hall on Orwell Road is well-used by the town's senior citizen population but in recent years parts of the building have had to be closed to the public due to its poor state of repairs.
Now Suffolk Coastal's development control sub committee approved plans for a replacement building which will also incorporate four flats.
The scheme, drawn up by the town council and Orwell Housing, will mean improved facilities for all the hall's users.
You may also want to watch:
The new hall will still be used by the elderly during the day but will be rented out to the wider community for evening functions.
Some concerns were raised about the destruction of the existing wooden building as it is one of the last examples of its kind in the town.
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 5 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 6 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 7 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 8 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 9 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 10 Ipswich train services cancelled due to signalling system fault
Councillor Mary Dixon said: "It is a shame to lose the building as it has a nice seaside feel to it but I understand it is in a poor condition and the design of the new building looks as though it will fit in to the area well."
The issue of noise was also raised but planning officers said strict controls will be enforced on the hall's opening hours to ensure this is kept to a minimum.