Days Gone By - Do you remember Evelyn chemists, George Moore drapers and Dansie’s grocers in Norwich Road, Ipswich?
Today, Norwich Road is home to Indian restaurants, Turkish eateries and businesses from around the world, but in years gone by it had a completely different character.
The stretch of road between Barrack corner and the junction with Bramford Road has a very international flavour but the building line has changed very little since the Victorian and Edwardian period, writes David Kindred.
Traffic has, however, increased dramatically since the days when horse-drawn traffic and electric trams were a familiar sight.
There were public houses, including one at the junction of St Matthew’s Street, all within just a few hundred yards and now all closed.
Our first photo, above, shows Norwich Road, taken from Barrack Corner in December 1965. Shops on the right included Dansie’s grocers, Vogue hairdressers, George Moore drapers, Ipswich Co-op grocers, butchers and greengrocers, Evelyn chemists and pharmacist, Percy Brewster house furnisher, W Thompson confectioner, R Frazer china dealer and William Coe men’s outfitters.
You may also want to watch:
The next photo shows the Hare and Hounds at the junction with Orford Street closed in 2011. This photograph was taken soon before closure. It is now a bridal wear shop.
Another shows Norwich Road looking towards the junction with Bramford Road on a busy day around 1912.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 7 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 8 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 9 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 10 Flooding expected near Ipswich Waterfront
The Rose and Crown, stood at the junction of Bramford Road and Norwich Road, can be seen in the next photo. The pub, which was a coaching inn dating back to at least 1618, closed in 2011 and is now a Kurdish community centre.
A photo from 1910 shows Norwich Road from near Granville Street. The sign high on the building, on the right, is for the Waveney Arms, a beerhouse, which closed in 1911.
The imposing building in Norwich Road, shown in the next photo is now the Maharani Indian restaurant.
When this photograph was taken around 1910 it was W Rush, selling fish game and poultry. Rush’s also imported ice in a time when few had refrigerators.
In the 1960s this was the premises of Barker’s fish merchants.
The Half Moon and Star was at the junction of St Matthew’s Street, Barrack Lane and Norwich Road, Ipswich, and closed in 1988. It has been converted to residential use.
If these photos bring back memories for you, email David Kindred and share them with our readers