Days Gone By - Do you remember when heavy snow fall brought Ipswich to a standstill?
The shortest day of winter is now behind us, but the next few weeks are the most likely time for us to have the lowest temperatures and snow, writes David Kindred.
In this week’s Days Gone By I have taken a look back at past winters. In February 1956 the East Coast of England, from Yorkshire to Kent, was covered in huge amounts of fine powdery snow, which drifted and blocked many roads and services. St Mary at the Elms Church in Ipswich is in the background of this photo.
The snow fall of 1958 was sudden and cut off towns and villages. Many children were stranded at their school.
But one of the worst was from Christmas 1962 to March 1963, when rivers froze with a fall of snow and very low temperatures that lasted for months. It was the coldest winter since 1740 and a cold east wind kept temperatures below freezing for much of that period.
Snow drifts 12-feet high were recorded at Wickham Market and 40ft ice-flows stopped the ferry service from Felixstowe to Bawdsey.
January 1979 was the coldest period since 1963, with the temperatures down to -11c in the region and heavy falls of snow causing major disruption.
While children and winter sports fans find it fun, for most the struggle to get to work, shops and to get children to school, make frozen conditions an unwelcome visitor.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 8 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 9 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 10 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
All forms of transport are badly disrupted and most are pleased when a thaw sets in.
1987 brought another major snow storm, with the coast the worst affected.
Do you have any memories or photographs of heavy falls of snow from the past?