Days Gone By: Land that was bought for the ‘forty shilling freeholders’
Much of the area of Ipswich, bound by Cauldwell Hall Road, Woodbridge Road and Foxhall Road, is part of the town developed by the Suffolk Freehold Land Society.
The Ipswich Building Society’s website explains: “From 1849, through to the first quarter of the 20th century, many parts of Ipswich, as well as other Suffolk towns, were developed by the Society under its original name of the Ipswich and Suffolk Freehold Land Society.
“This was part of a national movement to create what were known as ‘forty shilling freeholders’; giving the ordinary man a chance to buy enough land to give him the right to vote.
“In the early days, the Society purchased large parcels of land, laying out roads across this land and dividing it into allotments that were offered for sale to its senior members.
“The Ipswich & Suffolk Permanent Benefit Building Society outlasted other, smaller building societies in the region, becoming the Ipswich & Suffolk Building Society in 1969 and finally merging with the Ipswich & District Building Society in 1975 to become Ipswich Building Society.”
In 1849, the Society purchased around 99 acres of Cauldwell Hall estate, between Foxhall Road and Woodbridge Road.
Do you have memories of the area or were you a pupil at Copleston Road School? To submit a letter, in less than 300 words, write to David Kindred, Days Gone By, Ipswich Star/EADT, Portman House, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, IP1 1RS or send an e-mail
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 5 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 6 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 9 Delays on Orwell Bridge after fire crews called to 'smoke coming from vehicle'
- 10 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears