Days Gone By - Power station inferno and warehouse blaze kept fire heroes busy at Cliff Quay Power Station
Autumn 1982 saw the fire brigade dealing with two huge industrial fires within a few weeks and only around a mile apart, writes David Kindred.
On September 2, the Cliff Quay Power Station was badly damaged by fire and on October 14, Cory Brothers warehouse, in Cliff Road, was destroyed in a blaze that saw huge clouds of smoke, from stored chemicals, drift across the Rivers housing estate - as seen in the first photo.
In this week’s Days Gone By I feature photographs taken by EADT and Star photographers who went to the incidents - the photo above shows thick black smoke billowing from Cliff Quay Power Station during the dramatic fire of September 1982. This photograph was taken from near Bourne Bridge.
This image shows Cliff Quay power station worker, Philip Budinger, his face blackened by smoke.
He just manages a smile as he tells EADT/Star reporter Paul Durrant about his rescue.
The tiny figure of Mr Budinger, trapped on the roof by the 1982 fire, is shown in our next image.
He is silhouetted by white smoke as firefighters make their way by ladder to rescue him.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 6 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 7 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 8 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
Power station employees are seen leaving the building during the 1982 fire in this photo taken by photographer Paul Nixon.
Were you one of those evacuated from the building?
Our next photo shows huge clouds of toxic smoke drifting towards the Rivers housing estate and Cliff Lane School, during the 1982 fire at Cory Brothers warehouse at the corner of Cliff Road and Toller Road, Ipswich.
Do you remember this blaze? Nearby Cliff Lane School was evacuated as thick smoke engulfed the building. One Cory Brothers employee and four children were taken to hospital, but not detained.
These next photos show how Cliff Lane School, was hurriedly evacuated during the Cory Brothers fire.
Were you one of the pupils? Do you remember being evacuated?