Days Gone By - What happened to these well-known pubs in the Stoke area of Ipswich?
PUBLISHED: 17:31 16 February 2016 | UPDATED: 12:51 17 February 2016
Stoke is an area of Ipswich which was a densely populated area of town with several large employers, writes David Kindred.
Days Gone By - Pubs of Stoke
The Live and Let Live, 357 Wherstead Road, closed in 2006. The building was demolished and flats built on the site.
The site of the Live and Let Live
The Railway Tavern, 61 Burrell Road, closed in June 1987. When the building opened in 1863 it was called the Locomotive. The building was demolished and flats now stand on this site. Photo by Albert Gonzalez
The site of the Railway
The Boars Head, Boars Head Lane, closed c.1949. The Lane is now part of Austin Street. This building had traded in the late sixteenth century. It was demolished soon after closure. This picture was taken in the mid 1930s (Photo courtesy Colchester and Ipswich Museum Service).
The site of the Boars Head
The site of the Britannia
August 1987 - The Defiance
Who was behind the bar at the Defiance in August 1987?
The site of the Defiance
The EUR (Eastern Union Railways) Croft Street , closed in 2005. It had closed in 1993, but reopened in 1994 and closed again the following year. In 1996 after a refit it opened as Crofts. In 1997 it returned to being called the EUR.
The site of the EUR
The Eagle Tavern, (the white building behind the bus) at 67 Wherstead Road, in 1965. It closed in 1977. The building at the corner of Wherstead Road was converted to a cafe. (Photo by Alan Valentine).
The site of the Eagle
The Engineers Arms, at the corner of Bath Street and Hawes Street, closed in May 1961. The site is now part of the Wherstead Road by-pass.
The site of the Engineers Arms
The Great Eastern, Croft Street, closed in 1994. This building at the corner of Webb Street is now converted to residential use. Albert Gonzalez took this photograph in the 1980s.
The site of the Great Eastern
Among the public houses lost to the Stoke area of Ipswich was The Griffin which stood at the junction of New Cut West and Bath Street.
The site of the Griffin Inn
The site of the Old Bell Inn
The Orwell Hotel stood at the junction of New Cut West and Bright Street, Ipswich. (Photograph from Geoffrey Dodson).
The site of the Orwell Hotel
An outing from the Vernon Arms in the 1920. This public house was at the corner of Little Whip Street and Vernon Street. It closed in 1930.
The site of the Vernon Arms
The White Lion, 24 Bridge Street, (behind the bridge), closed in 1913. All of the buildings between Stoke Street and the iron bridge over the River Orwell were demolished when the road was widened and the iron bridge replaced, which opened in 1925. This photograph from St Peters Dock has the tower of St Mary Stoke Church in the background.
The site of the White Lion
Uncle Toms Cabin/Orwell Mariner, at the junction of Vernon Street and Austin Street, closed January 2013. The original beerhouse on this site, which dated from 1871, was demolished and this building was erected on the site in 1904. After modernisation in 1984 it was renamed the Orwell Mariner, but later reverted to the original name. (Photo by Albert Gonzalez).
The site of the Uncle Tom's Cabin
Ransomes and Rapier and Cocksedge’s were big engineering companies employing hundreds. After years of decline ‘R and R’ saw the last crane built there leave the site in 1988.
Cocksedge’s closed during the recession in the early 1980s and The Ipswich Locomotive Depot closed in 1968. Hundreds of rail men worked there maintaining locomotives and rolling stock on the site off Wherstead Road.
The Felaw Street Maltings and the Ipswich Maltings Company premises near New Cut also had hundreds of employees on site.
The area supported several public houses supplying refreshment for the residents and workers. Now most of these have closed.
In this week’s Days Gone By I have looked back at some of those lost to “Over Stoke” as that part of Ipswich is known, as it was once a separate community over the River Orwell to the rest of the town.
See our gallery to see which have survived and what has been built on the sites of those that were demolished.
What memories do you have of these public houses or the Stoke and Maidenhall areas of Ipswich? Are you a regular at the still thriving Steamboat Tavern or the Smock?