Diamond couple delay their celebration – for joyful reason
BRAMFORD: A couple who delayed their diamond wedding anniversary celebrations have been sharing the secrets of a happy marriage with their granddaughter.
Alice and Frank Allum reached the milestone anniversary in August but decided to put their plans on hold so they could enjoy the wedding of their granddaughter Jodie Boon.
“Jodie got married a couple of days after our anniversary so it was lovely to have that to celebrate first, especially as it was so close to ours,” said Mrs Allum, 79, of Packard Place, Bramford.
The family enjoyed a meal at the Novotel, Ipswich, yesterday and Mrs Allum was presented with a bouquet of flowers by staff. She said: “It was wonderful having the family reunited again for our anniversary.”
The couple believe that taking the rough with the smooth and riding out the difficult times together has kept their marriage alive, and they passed these words of wisdom on to Jodie - the first of their grandchildren to tie the knot - and her new husband Terry.
“She is so happy that there wasn’t much more we could tell her,” said Mrs Allum. “To make a marriage work you have just got to be happy and enjoy life.”
Mr Allum, 84, and his wife have three children and four grandchildren, who all joined them for the celebration along with their partners.
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 4 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 5 Ipswich man, 27, arrested after stabbing in Bury St Edmunds car park
- 6 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 7 Man order to sign sex offenders' registers for possessing indecent images
- 8 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 9 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
- 10 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
“We haven’t got any great grandchildren yet,” they said. “We are just waiting patiently now, we are hoping Jodie will hurry up.”
Mrs Allum added: “My grandson Daniel, who is 14, has just been named cricket player of the year by Ipswich and East Suffolk Cricket Club and I am so proud. There have been lots of reasons to celebrate.”
n Have you got a special event which is worth celebrating? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send an e-mail to eveningstar firstname.lastname@example.org