Disorientated Ipswich man who assaulted police officer ends up in court

Ipswich Magistrates Court on Elm Street.

Ipswich Magistrates Court on Elm Street. - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

A man who assaulted a police officer after becoming disorientated must pay more than £300 in fines and court costs.

Shaun Grey, of Kelly Road, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to assault and also to resisting the efforts of a special constable who was trying to arrest him.

The 33-year-old admitted the offences, which took place on August 31, when he appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates Court.

Prosecutor Stephen Colman said officers were sent to Shaftesbury Square in Ipswich. When they arrived Grey was sitting on the floor in the hallway.

As officers approached the property he kicked the front door shut.

The officers knocked several times but Grey refused to acknowledge them, the court heard.

Pc Luke Burgin tried to communicate with Grey through the front door, while his colleague Special Constable Dale Evans went to the rear of the premises.

Most Read

Mr Colman said Grey tried to leave through the back door where constable Evans was standing. Grey was said to have become “very volatile” as the officer attempted to handcuff him.

Pc Burgin went to the rear of the house and saw Grey and constable Evans tussling.

Magistrates were told Pc Burgin went to assist his colleague and without warning Grey swung his right hand, hitting Pc Burgin on the side of the forehead.

Pc Burgin struck Grey to get control, but he continued to resist and fight with both officers.

Mr Colman said Grey remained abusive en route to custody despite having his legs strapped by police.

Dino Barricella, representing Grey, said: “This is totally out of character for Mr Grey.”

The court was told it was believed Grey had been rendered unconscious, possibly as a result of a domestic incident.

When police arrived Grey had just come to and was totally disorientated.

Mr Barricella said initially his client did not realise the men were police officers.

Magistrates fined Grey a total of £100. He was also ordered to pay £40 compensation to Pc Burgin, £20 to the victims’ fund and a £150 criminal courts charge.