Distraction burglars target 96-year-old
DETECTIVES are investigating a distraction burglary in Kelsale in which a 96-year-old woman bravely tried to fight off two crooks.The incident happened in Carlton Road about 5.30pm yesterday.
DETECTIVES are investigating a distraction burglary in Kelsale in which a 96-year-old woman bravely tried to fight off two crooks.
The incident happened in Carlton Road about 5.30pm yesterday when the pensioner heard a knock at her back door.
When she answered she was confronted by a man, claiming to be a doctor, who pushed past her to get into the property and a second man who engaged her in conversation.
The woman argued that the man was not who he claimed to be, but the first man who had gained entry stole a quantity of cash from her living room.
You may also want to watch:
The second man also tried to gain entry but was prevented from doing so by the woman.
She then bravely tried to push both men out of the door, eventually managing to get rid of them and immediately alerting authorities to what had occurred.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
One of the men is described as white, about 5ft 10in, well-built, and was aged in his 30s or 40s.
The second was white, of similar age and build, with gingerish hair and was wearing blue overalls.
Police are also investigating another distraction-style burglary at a communal premises in the Morton Road area of Lowestoft, around 5pm yesterday .
The offenders broke into the premises and then tried to gain access to a flat by asking to check the water supply.
Access was refused and they were told to leave.
Both men left empty handed.
The offenders in that incident are both described as white, in their late 30s or 40s, around 5ft 8in-5ft 10in.
One wore pale coloured clothing, the other navy blue workman's dungarees, had blonde/ginger spiky hair and spoke with an Irish accent.
Police investigating these incidents are keen to trace the occupants of a green Mondeo car who may be able to help with enquiries.
Anyone with information should call Lowestoft or Leiston CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.