Divers set to start search for sailor
SPECIALIST divers are expected to begin searching for the body of a Russian sailor next week after he disappeared on Christmas Eve.Alexi Dorofeev has not been seen since December 24 when he went missing from the British-registered ship, Daniel Kay, which was moored in Ipswich Marina.
IPSWICH: Specialist divers are expected to begin searching for the body of a Russian sailor next week after he disappeared on Christmas Eve.
Alexi Dorofeev has not been seen since December 24 when he went missing from the British-registered ship, Daniel Kay, which was moored in Ipswich Marina.
He was last seen on the quayside at about 10pm, when he was returned to the area of the ship by a fellow crew member. He had earlier gone ashore with two crew members to socialise.
Searches have been carried out along the banks of the River Orwell but police officers believe that the 36-year-old may be dead.
The Evening Star has learned that specialist divers from Rock Barracks, near Woodbridge, which is the home of 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault), are likely to begin a search for his body on Monday.
It is thought that because of the recent freezing conditions Mr Dorofeev's body could be at the bottom of the river. Although bodies in water eventually always rise to the surface, if the water is cold this process can take several weeks.
- 1 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 2 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 5 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 6 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 7 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 8 Warning after spate of catalytic converter thefts
- 9 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 10 Revealed: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in April
The Daniel Kay is believed to have sailed from Spain bringing rock salt for treatment on paths and roads.
Despite going missing on Christmas Eve, Mr Dorofeev was not reported missing until Boxing Day. Crew members presumed he had gone into Ipswich but the captain raised the alarm when he failed to return after two days.
Coastguard rescue teams from Holbrook and Felixstowe were searching the river and shoreline near the Orwell Bridge. CCTV has been checked and police have also spoken to staff at the Brewery Tap and the Ship Launch Inn where he was known to have visited.
Speaking last month, Inspector Des Pooley, duty inspector at Ipswich Police Station, said: “We are not expecting good news.”
Mr Dorofeev is described as white, medium build and with cropped black hair. He was wearing a dark-coloured long-sleeved coat and dark-coloured blue jeans when he was last seen.
Anyone who has seen him or knows of his whereabouts should contact Ipswich Police Station on 01473 613500.