Dock death grandfather may have fallen
A POLISH man found dead at an Ipswich dock may have fallen into the water after going to relieve himself, an inquest heard.Bronislaw Backiel, 49, was found by police officers in the water at Neptune Quay, Ipswich, on December 16 last year.
A POLISH man found dead at an Ipswich dock may have fallen into the water after going to relieve himself, an inquest heard.
Bronislaw Backiel, 49, was found by police officers in the water at Neptune Quay, Ipswich, on December 16 last year.
The inquest heard the grandfather, of Cullingham Road, Ipswich, had been drinking with two Lithuanian friends before he walked off. The two friends then heard a splash and rang the police.
When police arrived at the scene they found the body in the water near Coprolite Street and because the two men, aged 35 and 38, were unable to explain what had happened because they spoke poor English there were arrested on suspicion of murder.
You may also want to watch:
They were later released when it was revealed there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.
The inquest heard that the fly on Mr Backiel's jeans was undone and his body contained high levels of alcohol.
- 1 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 2 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 7 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 8 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 9 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 10 High winds close Ipswich festival event temporarily
A post mortem revealed he died as a result of drowning.
One possibility raised by Suffolk coroner Dr Peter Dean at Friday's inquest was that he may have gone to the edge of the water to relieve himself and fallen in.
A verdict of accidental death was recorded.
It is believed Mr Backiel who is believed to have been known by his middle name Robert, had been living in Suffolk for a number of years with his son Julian, daughter-in-law Magdelena and grandchild.
It is believed he moved to England from Poland about five years ago.
Did you know Bronislaw Backiel? Do you want to pay tribute to him? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, e-mail email@example.com or call 01473 324788.