Search

Dockspur campaigners demand information

PUBLISHED: 05:28 03 May 2002 | UPDATED: 11:50 03 March 2010

FRUSTRATED villagers are demanding to know when safety work will be carried out at the notorious dock spur roundabout on the edge of Felixstowe.

Parish councillors in the Trimleys are fed up waiting to hear and fear that someone else could be killed before action is taken.

FRUSTRATED villagers are demanding to know when safety work will be carried out at the notorious dock spur roundabout on the edge of Felixstowe.

Parish councillors in the Trimleys are fed up waiting to hear and fear that someone else could be killed before action is taken.

Trimley St Mary Parish Council's annual meeting was told that there had been no word for months from the Highways Agency on any progress on possible schemes for the A14 junction.

Councillors said they wanted to know what was going on and it was time for the agency to update concerned residents on its plans.

Parish clerk George Harlow has been authorised to write again to the agency at Bedford and press them on a timescale for any work.

He told the council he would express villagers' continuing concerns – especially in the light of two new accidents in the past four months – and try to find out when details of short-term work would be announced and any timescale or progress on longer term action at the junction.

Trimley St Martin Parish Council is also expected to press for more information and will discuss the roundabout at its meeting on Tuesday.

Councillor John Barker has written to council chairman Nigel Smith to ask for safety action to be discussed urgently before there is another fatality.

He has called for works "of a substantial enough nature to protect vehicles in the nearside lane".

It is just a year since motorist Martin O'Sullivan was killed when a juggernaut turning right to Felixstowe Port flipped over and crushed his BMW car.

It was the accident residents had feared for years – and could still so easily happen again.

Last month a lorry shed its load at almost exactly the same spot that Mr O'Sullivan died, leaving a five-ton piece of machinery in the middle of the inside lane, where a car could have been heading for Felixstowe.

In December, the Candlet Road exit was blocked again when an articulated lorry overturned, spilling its load of potatoes.

Highways chiefs have said details of the planned improvements would be unveiled shortly, once they have finished considering the recommendations of a report by the Transport Research Laboratory.

Four long-term options costed at between £120,000 and £385,000 have also been drawn up involving changes to the roundabout entrance, separation of traffic going to the port and town, and making the roundabout smaller.

But it is not thought that any of these will be built in the short or medium term and will have to compete for finance with schemes across the country.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star