Dog injured by portable loo
AN Ipswich woman has been left £500 out of pocket after her dog became ill when a portable loo used by workmen leaked dangerous chemicals.Carol Thompson, 54, who runs The Old Bell on Whersted Road, told The Evening Star she is furious that Ipswich Borough Council is refusing to cough up the cost of the treatment for her nine-year-old dog Blaze.
AN Ipswich woman has been left £500 out of pocket after her dog became ill when a portable loo used by workmen leaked dangerous chemicals.
Carol Thompson, 54, who runs The Old Bell on Whersted Road, told The Evening Star she is furious that Ipswich Borough Council is refusing to cough up the cost of the treatment for her nine-year-old dog Blaze.
The portable loo was set up in Wherstead Road earlier this year while council workmen carried out road repairs and improvements.
However Mrs Thompson said the council failed to secure the temporary structure and it was hauled down by vandals on two separate occasions leading to chemical spills.
Toxic trails of liquid seeped under her back gate and her nine-year-old dog Blaze became ill on each occasion.
A vet had to operate on the Golden Retriever Border Collie cross in a bid to find out what was wrong and the final bill topped £500.
- 1 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 2 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 7 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 9 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
- 10 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
A letter from the vet said he believed spillages from the loo are responsible for the dog becoming ill.
Mrs Thompson said: “I was told by the site foreman to get all the paperwork together and send it to the council and they would reimburse me the cost but that is not happening.
“They have made me feel as if I am lying
“It wasn't our fault.
“I am really hurt and upset that one person from the council has said they are sorry and it was their fault but now we are being told the opposite.
“It is just not fair. Through their negligence they have injured my dog.”
A spokesman for Ipswich Borough council said: “We can confirm that we have received a claim.
“We are investigating and seeking expert advice.”
Do you think the council should foot the bill? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org