Dog turns on hob and starts kitchen fire
- Credit: Newscast/Ed Robinson
A family has been saved from a kitchen blaze by firefighters after their dog managed to turn the hob on during the early hours of the morning.
Two Essex County Fire and Rescue crews were called to Elm Grove in Clacton at 4.20am today, Thursday, February 18.
Residents had been woken up by smoke alarms and got out of the house, before calling the emergency services.
Firefighters reported that when they arrived, the pan on the top of the hob had caught fire and was put out by 4.39am.
The top of the hob was damaged by the flames but no injuries were reported.
Andrew Deex, crew manager from Clacton Fire Station, said: “Luckily, the residents had working smoke alarms to alert them quickly to this fire before it spread and we'd advise everyone to make sure they test their smoke alarms regularly.
"The residents did the right thing in getting out of the house, staying out and calling us out.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 3 Search for new Post Office in east Ipswich
- 4 Felixstowe man who trashed his ex's home ordered to pay compensation
- 5 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 6 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 7 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
- 8 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 9 'Real vote of confidence' - New Travelodge starts building work by stadium
- 10 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
“I’d advise the public to switch off any appliances they don’t use at night and to keep the hob clear once you’ve finished cooking.
"We’ve seen pets turn on hobs before and this can reduce the risk of a house fire.”