Doug the Jug is top dog! Jack Russell/Pug cross breed wins our Pet Idol competition
- Credit: Gregg Brown
He’s beaten all the competition to come out as top dog in our Pet Idol competition – it’s Doug the Jug.
Not even a year old (his first birthday is tomorrow) the lovable pooch was entered into our the competition by owner Melanie Wakefield.
Doug is a cross between a Jack Russell and a pug – combined and shortened to ‘jug’ – and has been with Miss Wakefield since shortly after getting engaged to partner Andrew Scotland.
She said she was quietly confident he would be a success in Pet Idol when entering him into the competition.
“He gets a lot of attention when we’re out and about, he’s a cheeky little chap,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s very energetic, likes going on long walks and he loves other dogs.”
In order to give Doug the best chance of winning Miss Wakefield shared his entry on social media and made a short video about him.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 5 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 9 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
She added the competition had helped the lively pub gather his own small fan base.
On finding out he had won she said: “I was ecstatic, I was really excited and pleased.”
The prize of a short break on the Norfolk Broads is coming as a bit of a reward for Miss Wakefield for dealing with Doug’s lively personality.
“He’s so excitable and he jumps up a lot,” she explained. “You know when he has done something wrong because his tail wags.
“He’s left a little package for us and chewed at the cushions on the sofa and his tail wags.
“But he is a real mummy’s boy.”
Doug better learn to control his boisterous nature on some occasions though as Miss Wakefield, a teacher at One college, has a very important job lined up for him when she and Mr Scotland marry.
“We’re hoping to get him in as ring bearer,” she said. “When we got engaged he came along soon after.
“I reckon with a few treats he might be all right.”
Doug is a Jack Russel-pug cross – or a jug – but there are plenty of other breeds with amusing portmanteau names. Here are just a few.
Cockapoo: Cocker spaniel crossed with a poodle
Puggle: Beagle crossed with a pug
Golli: Golden retriever crossed with a collie
Bichpoo: Bichon Frise crossed with a poodle
Chorkie: Chihuahua crossed with Yorkshire Terrier
Pekeapoo: Pekingese crossed with a poodle
Doxiepoo: Dachshund crossed with a poodle