Dovercourt/Brantham: Labrador puppy Sully’s lucky escape after swallowing crabbing hook, weight and line

Labrador Sully had emergency surgery after swallowing a crabbing line, net, weight and hook

Labrador Sully had emergency surgery after swallowing a crabbing line, net, weight and hook - Credit: Archant

An adventurous puppy was rushed into theatre after swallowing a discarded crabbing line on a north Essex beach.

An x-ray of Sully's stomach highlights where the hook and weight were lodged

An x-ray of Sully's stomach highlights where the hook and weight were lodged - Credit: Archant

Eight-month-old Labrador Sully was being walked along the shore in Harwich by his owner Penny Barrington when the incident happened.

Mrs Barrington, who lives in Dovercourt with her husband Kurt and six children, said: “He was off his lead because there weren’t any other dogs around.

“He was on a grassy area near the beach. I saw him stop and called him back to me. He started running towards me and stopped a couple of times but he had the crabbing line following him.

“I tried to put my hand in his mouth to get the hook but it had already gone to far down his throat so I took him straight to the vets.”

Labrador Sully had emergency surgery after swallowing a crabbing line, net, weight and hook

Labrador Sully had emergency surgery after swallowing a crabbing line, net, weight and hook - Credit: Archant

The puppy was rushed to Highcliff Veterinary Practice in Brantham where he was sedated and x-rayed to find out exactly what he had swallowed.

Mrs Barrington, who has had Sully since he was eight weeks old, added: “You could clearly see the hook, weigh, net and line was down in his stomach.”

Most Read

Sully underwent emergency surgery last month to remove the crabbing line, weight and hook and made a quick recovery.

Mrs Barrington, 45, said: “I’d like to think someone had dropped the line on the way to the beach. I’m sure it wasn’t left there intentionally.

“If it hadn’t have happened to Sully, it would have happened to someone else but Labradors are renowned for eating everything.”

The drama has left Mrs Barrington wary of letting Sully off his lead for fear of a similar incident from happening again.

Tom Forsyth, a partner at Highcliff, said: “It was life-threatening. The hook could have punctured the stomach wall and the float, weight and met could got stuck and caused an obstruction in his intestines.

“The line could have cheese wired through his intestines as well.

“I would urge dog owners that if they see any fishing equipment left on a beach to keep their dog well away from it.

“If they think their pet has swallowed any equipment, they should seek immediate veterinary advice.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter