Drama as war-time bomb found in house

A DOCTOR'S surgery was among buildings which had to be evacuated after a wartime bomb was found during a house clearance.

A DOCTOR'S surgery was among buildings which had to be evacuated after a wartime bomb was found during a house clearance.

The bomb disposal squad and police officers were called to Woodbridge Road, Ipswich at about 11.15am yesterday following reports that a device had been found during the clearance of a house belonging to a war veteran.

Those living closest to the house, which included staff and patients at the Woodbridge Road Medical Centre, were told to leave while the experts dealt with the ongoing drama.

Woodbridge Road was also closed to vehicles between Argyle Street and Warwick Road after people clearing the house of Robert Bus, a man in his 80s who died six months ago, found a wartime torpedo shell in a bedroom.

It is also believed that an old handgun was found at the bottom of a grandfather clock.

It was later discovered that the device was not explosive and the road was reopened at 1pm.

Most Read

Eight patients and 15 members of staff at the medical centre were evacuated but Simon Eagle, practice manager, said it came just as they were approaching a lunch break so there was little disruption caused to the schedule.

Mr Eagle said: “We broke off at about 12.20pm and went back in at 1.30pm. A few patients had to leave the building and did not get their appointment.

“Fortunately it happened at lunchtime so there were not many appointments. The only problem was with patients phoning for prescriptions but I had a bit of time to divert the calls so people were aware of the situation.

“Police were concerned because the surgery was nearest to the bedroom where it was found.”

Neighbour, Mark Greetham, added: “He [Mr Bus] was a genuine old chap and a war veteran.

“Police knocked on the door and said we had to go, so me, the wife, the dog and the cleaner, all went out. I was away for a couple of hours and when I came back, the police were gone.

“If it had have gone off, that would have been scary but I very much doubt that would have happened.”

A Suffolk Police spokeswoman said: “At 11.15am police were called to an address in Woodbridge Road following reports of a device found after a house clearance. Some neighbours were evacuated.

“The device was made safe and the road reopened at 1pm.”

Were you caught up in the drama? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter