Dramatic change for town centre spot
WHAT difference a week makes!Just days after the Evening Star's intrepid James Fraser was moved to cry: "I'm a reporter, get me out of here!" during a visit to Ipswich's own urban jungle, work has started to tidy it up.
By Paul Geater
WHAT difference a week makes!
Just days after the Evening Star's intrepid James Fraser was moved to cry: "I'm a reporter, get me out of here!" during a visit to Ipswich's own urban jungle, work has started to tidy it up.
The pocket of land between Wolsey Street and St Francis Court has been derelict for years.
You may also want to watch:
It has been taken over by undergrowth and become an unofficial rubbish dump.
But since we highlighted the state of the site last week, things have started to happen.
- 1 Car crashes into cafe closing Ipswich road
- 2 Ipswich man charged with dangerous driving following Audi crash in Norwich Road
- 3 Person taken to hospital after collision in Sainsbury's car park in Ipswich
- 4 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 5 New special school planned for former BT site
- 6 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 7 Women facing prison after admitting robbery in Ipswich
- 8 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 9 Rolling road block put in place on A14 after concerns for safety
- 10 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
Now bulldozers have moved in to clear the ground as a possible prelude to the start of development work there.
Planning permission was granted earlier this year for flats to be built there. An amended application for 45 flats in a five-storey block on the site was lodged last week.
The site is seen is very important for the town – even though it is not large it is an important link between Cardinal Park and the town centre.