Dramatic change for town centre spot
WHAT difference a week makes!Just days after the Evening Star's intrepid James Fraser was moved to cry: "I'm a reporter, get me out of here!" during a visit to Ipswich's own urban jungle, work has started to tidy it up.
By Paul Geater
WHAT difference a week makes!
Just days after the Evening Star's intrepid James Fraser was moved to cry: "I'm a reporter, get me out of here!" during a visit to Ipswich's own urban jungle, work has started to tidy it up.
The pocket of land between Wolsey Street and St Francis Court has been derelict for years.
It has been taken over by undergrowth and become an unofficial rubbish dump.
But since we highlighted the state of the site last week, things have started to happen.
- 1 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 2 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 8 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 9 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 10 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction
Now bulldozers have moved in to clear the ground as a possible prelude to the start of development work there.
Planning permission was granted earlier this year for flats to be built there. An amended application for 45 flats in a five-storey block on the site was lodged last week.
The site is seen is very important for the town – even though it is not large it is an important link between Cardinal Park and the town centre.