Drink and drugs caused toilet death

A LETHAL combination of drink and drugs killed a Woodbridge builder found dead in an Ipswich toilet block.Nicholas Crowley was more than four times the drink-drive alcohol limit when he popped into a cubicle to inject himself.

A LETHAL combination of drink and drugs killed a Woodbridge builder found dead in an Ipswich toilet block.

Nicholas Crowley was more than four times the drink-drive alcohol limit when he popped into a cubicle to inject himself.

Two girls found the 40-year-old's body slumped on the floor of one of the conveniences at Major's Corner, opposite the Odeon Cinema, just after midnight on June 3.

An inquest at Ipswich Crown Court heard that one of the girls screamed at the grim discovery when she opened the door.


You may also want to watch:


Puncture marks were seen on Mr Crowley's left forearm which appeared to have been made by a needle.

A statement read to the court on Wednesday said an ambulance crew could not find a pulse and were unable to resuscitate Mr Crowley.

Most Read

Susannah Crowley was told of her husband's death at 4.25am.

In a statement read to the court Mrs Crowley said she did not think her husband intended to harm himself.

She said: "He had been happy and laughing in the morning. He was a wonderful man and I am lucky to have been loved by him."

Mr Crowley had problems with drugs and alcohol in the past and had been on a course of methadone that he stopped taking in February.

A post-mortem carried out at Ipswich hospital found Mr Crowley also had 350mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood in his system. The legal limit for driving is 80mgs per 100ml.

A significant amount of morphine was also detected.

On recording his verdict of accidental death the Greater Suffolk Coroner Dr Peter Dean said: "There was no sense at all that Mr Crowley intended to harm himself.

"He would have lost tolerance to morphine while on methadone which would have made any further drug use dangerous. When added to the cumulative effects of alcohol the risk increases markedly."

Mr Dean said that Mr Crowley's death must act as a warning to others on the dangers of mixing drugs and alcohol.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus