Drink driver bought car two days before breaking law
More motorists have been relieved of the licences for drink and drug driving.
Among 11 people before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday was Sergey Iliev, caught driving without car insurance while two-and-a-half times the alcohol limit in Sudbury on December 16.
The 43-year-old, one of the latest offenders to appear during the annual Christmas crackdown, was seen driving erratically and veering across the road in Springlands Way.
When pulled over at about 11.40pm, Iliev, who had been in the country just two months after arriving with his family from Bulgaria, was unable to provide insurance for the Mercedes C200 he had bought two days earlier.
The factory worker failed a roadside breath test, was arrested and later gave a reading of 91 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath – the legal limit being 35.
You may also want to watch:
Iliev, from North Street, Sudbury, was banned from driving for 23 months and fined £757.
- 1 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 2 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 7 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 8 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 9 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 10 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe