Drink-driving trio face bans

SUFFOLK: Three drivers are today facing road bans after getting behind the wheel while over the alcohol limit.

The trio all appeared at South East Suffolk Magistrates Court and pleaded guilty to drink-driving.

Akuila Toro, 31, of Cherry Tree Road, Stowmarket, was chased by six police cars on the A12, on March 28, after officers noticed his Ford Focus swerving across the carriageway.

Toro, who also admitted failing to stop when requested, had earlier been drinking lager and whisky at a friend’s house while watching a rugby match on TV.

Prosecutor Lesla Small said: “He ignored several requests to pull over and only stopped after police boxed him in. During an interview he said he couldn’t hear the police car’s sirens because he was playing music loudly in his car.”

A subsequent breath test showed Toro had consumed 95 micrograms of alcohol in 100 mililitres of breath. The legal limit is 35 micrograms.

The court heard on Wednesday that Toro, an aircraft engineer based at RAF Wattisham, had previously been banned for a drink-driving offence in 2002. He was disqualified from driving for 42 months and given a community order for nine months.

Most Read

For the offence of failing to stop he was fined �260, ordered to pay �85 costs and a �15 victim surcharge.

Nicholas Maclean, of Newnham Court, Ipswich, was stopped by police in Fonnereau Road, Ipswich, on January 18 after officers witnessed him having a row with his girlfriend who was a passenger in his car.

A subsequent blood test showed that Maclean had 156 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. The legal limit is 80.

The 28-year-old was banned from driving for 20 months, fined �260 and ordered to pay �85 costs and a �15 victim surcharge.

Also appearing in court was mother-of-one Lindsay King, 22, of Sandy Hill Lane, Ipswich.

Prosecutor Lesla Small told the court that officers found King asleep in her Fiat Bravo parked in the middle of Clapgate Lane, Ipswich, at 3.30am on March 27.

She added that King had driven to see her boyfriend following a night out and had become aggressive when officers woke her.

King had consumed 54 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

She was disqualified from driving for 16 months, fined �100 and ordered to pay �85 costs and a �15 victim surcharge.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter