Drug addict stole to feed habit
A HEROIN addict has been jailed for thefts carried out to feed his habit.South-East Suffolk Magistrates Court heard 24-year-old Gordon Harvey, of no fixed abode, stole a power washer and two DVD players to get money for drugs.
A HEROIN addict has been jailed for thefts carried out to feed his habit.
South-East Suffolk Magistrates Court heard Gordon Harvey, 24, of no fixed abode, stole a power washer and two DVD players to get money for drugs.
Patricia Doggitt, prosecuting, told magistrates Harvey stole a £225 Bosch power washer from Homebase, in Warren Heath, Ipswich, on July 2.
He put the washer on a trolley and left it near the entrance. Miss Doggitt said he then left the store, walked round to the entrance and dragged the trolley out. Harvey was spotted by and caught outside.
Miss Doggitt said a week later Harvey stole two DVD players from Bennett's Electrical, in Beardmore Park, Martlesham Heath. She said he picked up two boxed sets and left the store, before climbing into the passenger seat of a waiting car and driving off.
Harvey admitted both thefts, a further theft of a soft drink and two biscuits from Tesco, three Bail Act offences and criminal damage to a CCTV tape.
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 3 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 4 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 5 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 6 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 7 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 8 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 9 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 10 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
Charles Riddlestone, defending, said his clients' offending was directly related to his heroin habit. He asked them to consider imposing a drug treatment and testing order as an alternative to custody.
Magistrates said Harvey had already squandered chances given by the courts and sentenced him to a total of 13 weeks in jail.