Drug dealer murder retrial begins

A RETRIAL into the alleged murder of a teenage drug dealer in an Ipswich flat nearly six years ago began today.

A RETRIAL into the alleged murder of a teenage drug dealer in an Ipswich flat nearly six years ago began today.

Former Big Issue seller Paul Dwyer denies stabbing to death 19-year-old Peter Brown at the property in Parkwood, Henley Road, in October 2001.

Dwyer, 37 but 31 at the time, was originally tried at Norwich Crown Court in July 2002.

Elizabeth Nash, prosecuting at Ipswich Crown Court, told jurors: “There has been a delay in this case.

“The trial took place in 2002. For reasons not the fault of the defendant and which should not play a part in your deliberation, there was a problem in that trial and the matter is now before you for consideration.”

The court heard how Dwyer was addicted to heroin, cocaine and methadone, and would buy drugs from Mr Brown, whom he had known for between eight and 12 weeks at the time of the incident.

Most Read

Brown, from Hackney in London and the son of a deacon, had started selling drugs in Ipswich in summer 2001.

On October 24, the day before the alleged murder, Dwyer and a black man, believed to be Mr Brown, had been seen at the flat in Parkwood.

The following day, the pair returned and a witness, who can not be named, found Mr Brown and Dwyer fighting in the living room.

The witness told them to stop and threatened to call the police.

As Mr Brown made to leave, the witness told the court Dwyer had a “snarled” look on his face and had got up and struck the victim in the neck, causing him to suddenly collapse.

The witness said she became frightened and told Dwyer to call an ambulance before she left the flat.

She said later that day she was at work when Dwyer appeared, telling her Mr Brown had been taken to hospital and would be fine.

However, police later discovered the Mr Brown's body in the flat. He had a number of injuries to his head, face, body and arms, the most significant of which were three stab wounds to the neck.

In interview, Dwyer told police he had acted in self defence, fearing Mr Brown was going to kill him.

The case continues.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter