Drug den garages to be demolished
A BLOCK of Ipswich garages used as a drugs den is to be demolished.Addicts have been gathering at the site in Gatacre Road, injecting drugs in full view of a busy nursery.
A BLOCK of Ipswich garages used as a drugs den is to be demolished.
Addicts have been gathering at the site in Gatacre Road, injecting drugs in full view of a busy nursery.
And staff at the Toybox Pre-school have been forced to clear up the remnants of their abuse on a daily basis.
Leases on the garages ran out at the beginning of the year and staff at the Toybox have been eagerly awaiting their destruction.
You may also want to watch:
A date has now been set to tear the garages down with the backing of county councillor Kevan Lim.
He said: "I can confirm that the borough has issued a tender to demolish the garages on March 8.
- 1 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 2 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 5 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 8 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 9 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
"I am hoping to see a community use for the area such as a playground which I may help to fund through my locality budget."
Cllr Lim has already contributed £250 of his budget to improve security measures at the nursery which has suffered from a spate of break-ins.
Toybox manager, Sandra Baker said: "I am really pleased about it and I think the local residents will be as well.
"There has been vandalism as far back as I can remember. The drug use has been going on since the summer. As soon as the garages are down the better."
A spokeswoman for Ipswich Borough council said: "A demolition notice has been approved between January 28 and March 8."
N What do you think? Write in to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk