Drug den garages to be demolished
A BLOCK of Ipswich garages used as a drugs den is to be demolished.Addicts have been gathering at the site in Gatacre Road, injecting drugs in full view of a busy nursery.
A BLOCK of Ipswich garages used as a drugs den is to be demolished.
Addicts have been gathering at the site in Gatacre Road, injecting drugs in full view of a busy nursery.
And staff at the Toybox Pre-school have been forced to clear up the remnants of their abuse on a daily basis.
Leases on the garages ran out at the beginning of the year and staff at the Toybox have been eagerly awaiting their destruction.
A date has now been set to tear the garages down with the backing of county councillor Kevan Lim.
He said: "I can confirm that the borough has issued a tender to demolish the garages on March 8.
- 1 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 4 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
- 5 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 6 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 7 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 8 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
"I am hoping to see a community use for the area such as a playground which I may help to fund through my locality budget."
Cllr Lim has already contributed £250 of his budget to improve security measures at the nursery which has suffered from a spate of break-ins.
Toybox manager, Sandra Baker said: "I am really pleased about it and I think the local residents will be as well.
"There has been vandalism as far back as I can remember. The drug use has been going on since the summer. As soon as the garages are down the better."
A spokeswoman for Ipswich Borough council said: "A demolition notice has been approved between January 28 and March 8."
N What do you think? Write in to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email email@example.com or visit the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk