Drug user died from methadone overdose

A LONG-TERM drug user died from a methadone overdose, an inquest heard. Ian Thompson, of Benton Road, Hadleigh, was found dead in his home on April 19 this year.

A LONG-TERM drug user died from a methadone overdose, an inquest heard.

Ian Thompson, of Benton Road, Hadleigh, was found dead in his home on April 19 this year. He was aged 39.

The inquest, held at Ipswich Crown Court, was told that Mr Thompson had no history of suicide attempts but was in a high-risk category as a drug user.

Police entered his house through a bedroom window and discovered an empty bottle of methadone. There were no indications of foul play.

A report by consultant pathologist Dr Sebastian Lucas said Mr Thompson had died of pneumonia secondary to a methadone overdose.

Coroner Dr Peter Dean recorded a finding of accidental death. He said: "This is an example to others how the use of drugs can harm and kill."

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter