Drumming up interest in music
MUSIC teacher Dan Jacobs is using a different technique to drum his lessons into those keen to learn – via the pages of a new book.For drummer Dan, 29, has just published his first book on drumming which he hopes will prove far more useful than many already on the market.
MUSIC teacher Dan Jacobs is using a different technique to drum his lessons into those keen to learn - via the pages of a new book.
For drummer Dan, 29, has just published his first book on drumming which he hopes will prove far more useful than many already on the market.
It was his disappointment with books on the instrument that drove him to try to write one himself which would be useful to both beginners and experts.
The book, called What Do You Practice?, is now available in local music shops and comes with two play-along CDs which feature 118 tracks.
You may also want to watch:
"I have bought quite a few drum books over the years but they never seem to feature everything you want from them," said Dan, who lives at Brightwell.
"So I thought I would have a go and put together one which I believe will really help people, whether they need to know some very basic stuff or if they want an aid to help with their practise time.
- 1 CCTV images issued following theft from car in Ipswich
- 2 Police attend Ipswich Waterfront property as part of murder probe
- 3 Officers making 'significant progress' in Victoria Hall murder case
- 4 Waterfront restaurant with 145 wines crowned best in Ipswich
- 5 Police make third arrest following Nacton stabbing
- 6 'I couldn't stop smiling': Kesgrave Kitchen named best Ipswich café
- 7 Felixstowe man caught with thousands of indecent images of children
- 8 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 9 Former charity worker denies fraud and will face trial
- 10 School completes £15.5million revamp with demolition of former building
"It has taken several months to do but I have really enjoyed it. I have published it myself but I am hoping that a musical publisher or distributor will perhaps take it up and I am currently in talks with one at the moment."
A former student of Orwell High School at Felixstowe, Dan has been drumming since he was 22 and has studied at Drum Tech, Europe's leading drum and performance school.
He teaches drumming for all styles of music, including reggae, latin, rock, pop, drum 'n' base, hip-hop, blues, funk, and r 'n' b - and the book covers all these styles. His personal preference is latin jazz fusion with a hint of rock.
He said the book includes different grooves, techniques and practice systems, and is fully annotated, with plenty of information to highlight each subject, plus hints for drummers on practising and developing an individual playing style.
"I just love drumming and teaching and inspiring others to play, and I hope this book really helps people to get more out of their drumming," he added.
n The book is available from most music shops in the area, and also from Dan's website www.danjacobs.tk He can be contacted for more information on 01473 620433.