Drumming up interest in music
MUSIC teacher Dan Jacobs is using a different technique to drum his lessons into those keen to learn – via the pages of a new book.For drummer Dan, 29, has just published his first book on drumming which he hopes will prove far more useful than many already on the market.
MUSIC teacher Dan Jacobs is using a different technique to drum his lessons into those keen to learn - via the pages of a new book.
For drummer Dan, 29, has just published his first book on drumming which he hopes will prove far more useful than many already on the market.
It was his disappointment with books on the instrument that drove him to try to write one himself which would be useful to both beginners and experts.
The book, called What Do You Practice?, is now available in local music shops and comes with two play-along CDs which feature 118 tracks.
"I have bought quite a few drum books over the years but they never seem to feature everything you want from them," said Dan, who lives at Brightwell.
"So I thought I would have a go and put together one which I believe will really help people, whether they need to know some very basic stuff or if they want an aid to help with their practise time.
- 1 Road near Ipswich town centre closed after crash involving motorcyclist
- 2 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 3 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 4 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
- 5 When will bins be collected in Ipswich this Bank Holiday weekend?
- 6 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 9 See inside Ipswich home with stunning views of the town from own turret
- 10 Driver caught doing 64mph in 40mph section of A12
"It has taken several months to do but I have really enjoyed it. I have published it myself but I am hoping that a musical publisher or distributor will perhaps take it up and I am currently in talks with one at the moment."
A former student of Orwell High School at Felixstowe, Dan has been drumming since he was 22 and has studied at Drum Tech, Europe's leading drum and performance school.
He teaches drumming for all styles of music, including reggae, latin, rock, pop, drum 'n' base, hip-hop, blues, funk, and r 'n' b - and the book covers all these styles. His personal preference is latin jazz fusion with a hint of rock.
He said the book includes different grooves, techniques and practice systems, and is fully annotated, with plenty of information to highlight each subject, plus hints for drummers on practising and developing an individual playing style.
"I just love drumming and teaching and inspiring others to play, and I hope this book really helps people to get more out of their drumming," he added.
n The book is available from most music shops in the area, and also from Dan's website www.danjacobs.tk He can be contacted for more information on 01473 620433.