Drumming up interest in music
MUSIC teacher Dan Jacobs is using a different technique to drum his lessons into those keen to learn – via the pages of a new book.For drummer Dan, 29, has just published his first book on drumming which he hopes will prove far more useful than many already on the market.
MUSIC teacher Dan Jacobs is using a different technique to drum his lessons into those keen to learn - via the pages of a new book.
For drummer Dan, 29, has just published his first book on drumming which he hopes will prove far more useful than many already on the market.
It was his disappointment with books on the instrument that drove him to try to write one himself which would be useful to both beginners and experts.
The book, called What Do You Practice?, is now available in local music shops and comes with two play-along CDs which feature 118 tracks.
You may also want to watch:
"I have bought quite a few drum books over the years but they never seem to feature everything you want from them," said Dan, who lives at Brightwell.
"So I thought I would have a go and put together one which I believe will really help people, whether they need to know some very basic stuff or if they want an aid to help with their practise time.
- 1 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 2 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 5 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 8 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
"It has taken several months to do but I have really enjoyed it. I have published it myself but I am hoping that a musical publisher or distributor will perhaps take it up and I am currently in talks with one at the moment."
A former student of Orwell High School at Felixstowe, Dan has been drumming since he was 22 and has studied at Drum Tech, Europe's leading drum and performance school.
He teaches drumming for all styles of music, including reggae, latin, rock, pop, drum 'n' base, hip-hop, blues, funk, and r 'n' b - and the book covers all these styles. His personal preference is latin jazz fusion with a hint of rock.
He said the book includes different grooves, techniques and practice systems, and is fully annotated, with plenty of information to highlight each subject, plus hints for drummers on practising and developing an individual playing style.
"I just love drumming and teaching and inspiring others to play, and I hope this book really helps people to get more out of their drumming," he added.
n The book is available from most music shops in the area, and also from Dan's website www.danjacobs.tk He can be contacted for more information on 01473 620433.