Drunk and depressed man threatened wife
A DEPRESSED father held a knife to his wife's throat and threatened to kill her then himself a court heard.Peter Last of Pembroke Avenue, Woodbridge had been drinking heavily with his wife Hayley and their friends when the incident happened magistrates heard.
A DEPRESSED father held a knife to his wife's throat and threatened to kill her then himself a court heard.
Peter Last of Pembroke Avenue, Woodbridge had been drinking heavily with his wife Hayley and their friends when the incident happened magistrates heard.
Mrs Last told police her 33-year-old husband had become drunk and verbally abusive talking to her like dirt.
John Hardwick prosecuting at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court in said the couple were sitting on the floor watching television when Last pushed her over, held her down and held a large knife to her throat.
He added: “She felt a sharp point touching the underside of her chin, she struggled for breath and felt like she would never breathe again.”
John Hardwick said Mrs Last was absolutely petrified and did not know what her husband was capable of.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 3 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 4 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 5 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 6 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 7 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 8 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Their friend, Melanie Soames, said Last told Hayley “I'm going to kill you, you are a cow, then I'm going to kill myself.”
Last pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour and therefore causing an affray on August 5.
The couple who have a seven month old baby and two children each from previous relationships had been together for just over two years.
John Hughes, mitigating, said his client had real problems with depression and had been abusing alcohol. Mr Hughes said Last had been to his doctor for help.
“His GP said the only person who can sort you out is you,” he added.
Mr Hughes said “He is shameful for his behaviour and apologies to his partner through the court. He has been in a distressed state since being in police custody yesterday morning.”
Magistrates' released Last on bail with conditions that he live at his parents address in Haverhill, stays out of Woodbridge and does not contact Mrs Last in any way.
A pre-sentence report was ordered and Last was due to be sentenced on August 29.