Drunken Ipswich shoplifter stole vintage port, lager and a coat

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

A drunken shoplifter who stole vintage port, lager and a coat from Ipswich town centre stores has been given a conditional discharge.

Ali Issaq, of Ancaster Road, Ipswich, pleaded guilty at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court to three offences.

The 21-year-old admitted two thefts and an attempted theft. All the offences occurred on January 12.

Prosecutor Colette Harper said the incidents happened between 4pm and 4.30pm.

Issaq went into Marks & Spencer in Westgate Street and was seen to wander around the menswear department.

CCTV showed him selecting a jumper and attempting to conceal it under his coat.

The court heard the jumper was retrieved from him and Issaq was asked to leave the store.

Most Read

He then went to Debenhams when he picked up a £50 olive green Parka and wore it over his jacket when leaving the shop without paying.

When he was subsequently arrested the stolen coat still had the price tag on it.

After leaving Debenhams Issaq went to Sainsbury’s in Upper Brook Street, where he selected a four-pack of lager before removing two cans and putting them beneath his coat.

He then picked up a bottle of Cockburns vintage port worth £12 and put that under his coat as well.

Issaq was detained when he left the premises.

When arrested he told police it was out of character and he had never shoplifted before.

David Allan, representing Issaq – who has a previous conviction for drunk and disorderly, said: “He is deeply ashamed of what’s happened.

“On this occasion he had been out drinking and as a result of that he’s behaved in a many that is plainly out of character for him because he has never done anything like this in the past.

“He really is at a bit of a loss as to why he’s gone out and done what he has done.”

The court was told Issaq has had a difficult time recently and had also lost his job.

Mr Allan added: “He’s really struggled to get on his feet. This whole situation has come as rather a shock to him.”

In addition to a six-month conditional discharge Issaq was ordered to pay £25 costs and £15 to the victims’ fund.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter