Early morning pub fire drama
FIRE ripped through the upper floor of an historic Suffolk pub in the early hours of this morning.Paramedics rushed to the scene and had to treat one person for smoke inhalation, but no-one was seriously injured.
FIRE ripped through the upper floor of an historic Suffolk pub in the early hours of this morning.
Paramedics rushed to the scene and had to treat one person for smoke inhalation, but no-one was seriously injured.
Flashing blue lights signalled early morning drama in the picturesque village of Woolpit after the alarm was raised just before 4am.
Fire had taken hold in a bedroom The Swan pub, parts of which are thought to date back as far as the 14th Century.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters were called to the pub, in The Street, at 3.45am. They battled for 40 minutes to put out the blaze.
This morning charred debris littered the outside of the pub although the scene was quiet.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 5 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 6 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 7 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 8 Man accused of burgling GP surgeries and pharmacy appears in court
- 9 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 10 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
A blackened bedroom chair, torched curtains and a melted portable stereo showed the power of the blaze that ripped through the pub.
A spokesman for the fire service said flames had taken hold in a bedroom and spread to other parts of the upper floor.
She said appliances from Elmswell and Ixworth were called to the scene.
Fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus fought their way through the smoke-filled rooms to tackle the fire.
In the bedroom, fire crews then cut away floorboards to making the scene safe.
One shocked neighbour said she had been woken at 4am by fire crews who then inspected the building, which adjoins the pub, for any signs of the fire spreading.