Ed Sheeran donates money to build new Ipswich Hospital children’s ward
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk popstar Ed Sheeran has donated a “significant” sum of money to build a new children’s ward at Ipswich Hospital,it has been revealed.
The singer has donated the money to The Colchester and Ipswich Hospitals Charity which launched an appeal to “create a modern, welcoming and child-friendly environment fit for the 21st century”.
The £2.5 million project will see the 24-bed Bergholt inpatient ward remodelled and refurbished.
Nick Hulme, chief executive for the East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust (ESNEFT), confirmed the singer had donated a ‘significant’ amount of money to the Ipswich Hospital ward.
He said it would make a “massive difference” and added: “It’s such an amazing gift. It shows incredible generosity.”
Mr Hulme said it would “make a massive difference to children and their families for many years to come”.
ESNEFT has tweeted its thanks to the Castle on the Hill singer, who grew up in Framlingham, saying: “We’re gonna pick up the pieces and build a Lego House ... state-of-the-art new children’s department!
- 1 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 2 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 3 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 4 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 5 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 6 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 7 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 8 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 9 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 10 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
“Big thanks to #Suffolk singer Ed Sheeran for making a donation towards our Children’s Appeal”.
The trust was unable to confirm the amount of money donated.