Search

Elderly woman's bedroom blaze shock

PUBLISHED: 16:19 13 April 2003 | UPDATED: 13:43 03 March 2010

AN elderly woman was today staying with family today getting over the shock of a blaze in her Great Cornard home.

Neighbours believe the fire at Cherry Tree Road was caused by a seized immersion heater which caused extensive damage to an airing cupboard in a small bedroom.

AN elderly woman was today staying with family today getting over the shock of a blaze in her Great Cornard home.

Neighbours believe the fire at Cherry Tree Road was caused by a seized immersion heater which caused extensive damage to an airing cupboard in a small bedroom.

Brian Pollard, 66, was out having a meal when he received a phone call alerting him to the blaze in his neighbour's house next door.

From outside the only damage visible today was a blackened window at the upstairs bedroom.

The occupier of the house is believed to be Pauline Mead who is 68 years old.

Although not thought to be injured Mrs Mead is today staying with her son.

Mr Pollard said he was concerned the fire it may have spread to his house but when he returned home shortly afterward the fire was under control.

Two fire crews from Sudbury attended the blaze which happened just after 5pm yesterday. When they arrived they found the first floor bedroom was well alight.

It was under control within 20 minutes.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star