Search

Electric blanket scorches sheets

PUBLISHED: 11:39 12 November 2001 | UPDATED: 10:49 03 March 2010

A COOL-HEADED grandmother raised the alarm after her electric blanket began to scorch her sheets in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Firefighters were called out at just after 1.

A COOL-HEADED grandmother raised the alarm after her electric blanket began to scorch her sheets in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Firefighters were called out at just after 1.20am to Long Row, Leiston, after 65-year-old Ann Holmes lifted off the blanket when she became too hot, and discovered that her sheets and the blanket were blackened at one end.

She coolly went downstairs and called the fire service, which took just over 50 minutes to bring the fire under control.

Although there were no flames, the smouldering blanket caused the bedroom to become heavily smoke-logged by the time firefighters arrived. Their efforts were hampered by the narrowness of the access road.

Mrs Holmes was given oxygen for potential smoke inhalation as a precaution.

"By the time they came, the room was full of horrible, acrid smoke," she said. "The whole blanket was hot, but I thought it would cool down after a while."

She added: "I'm fine. I didn't really panic. I knew it was a job for the fire brigade."


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star