Elmer fever hits Ipswich - one more sleep to go
- Credit: NATALIE SADLER
As the final countdown to Elmer’s Big Parade Suffolk begins, Ipswich is gearing up for a colour explosion.
And one sponsor started their celebrations early with an international-themed fancy dress competition today - a hint as to the theme of their Elmer.
Staff at Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines HQ in White House Road, Ipswich, set off on a round the world with each team representing a different country from Australia to Greece, Jamaica to the USA.
And the winners were the entertainment team who dressed as Brazilian dancers.
The celebrations continue tomorrow when Ellis Barker, public relations executive for the cruise company, will be on the Waterfront in Ipswich to greet visitors to Elmer's Travel Trunk.
You may also want to watch:
Miss Barker will be at the sculpture, which will be close to Cult Cafe, from midday Saturday and will be handing children's goody bags to the first 10 youngsters to arrive.
In addition, the Suffolk-based cruise company will be launching a social media competition on Saturday, encouraging those taking part in the trail to share their selfies, to be in the chance of winning more exclusive Fred. Olsen goody bags.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 5 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 6 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 9 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 10 'I miss him to bits' – Ipswich fundraiser for Alton Water teen deaths
There will be four categories for trail participants to enter: Best selfie; the selfie with the most people; the selfie with the most pets and the selfie with the most generations in one picture.
Anyone wishing to take part should Tweet their pictures to @FredOlsenCruise or tag @fred.olsencruiselines on Instagram, in both cases using the hashtag #ElmerTravelTrunk and #tonsoffunforeveryone. The winners will be announced at the end of the parade.
Tom Nunn, Chairman of Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines' Charity Committee, said: "We have had a great day here at Fred. Olsen House celebrating the launch of our Elmer, Travel Trunk.
"As is always the case here, the winning title was hotly contested, and our colleagues pulled out all of the stops. We have had people dressed as cans of Australian beer, inflatable palm trees and a whole host of animals.
"It has been great fun, but most importantly has helped to raise awareness of Elmer's Big Parade Suffolk and funds for St Elizabeth Hospice, which is the most important thing, and we have raised in the region of £200."
He added: "Elmer's Big Parade Suffolk is set to take over Ipswich town centre and the Waterfront area this summer, and we can't wait to see all of your selfies with our fantastic Travel Trunk Elmer."