Essex: A12 at Chelmsford closed following crashes
A section of the A12 was closed for safety reasons today following two crashes near Chelmsford.
Both collisions happened on the southbound carriageway near Junction 16, the Galleywood turn-off.
As a result of floodwater spilling on to the carriageway from adjoining fields the carriageway was closed under the J16 bridge. Traffic was diverted off the A12 at the slip road to join at the on-slip.
The Highways Agency is in charge of the closure.
The first crash happened shortly before 4am today when a grey Honda CRV and a silver BMW were in collision. There were no injuries. The road was closed for several hours while vehicles were recovered and barriers repairs were carried out.
You may also want to watch:
The second collision happened at shortly after 8am when a grey Peugeot 307 went out of control and hit the central reservation. The southbound carriageway was fully closed while police and highways staff swept up gravel scattered over both lanes for about 100 metres.
The diversion at J16 was put in place at about 9.30 but the Highways Agency hopes to re open the road later this afternoon.
- 1 A14 reopens after HGV crashes into central reservation
- 2 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 3 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 4 Anger at 'death trap' road in Pinewood
- 5 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 6 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 7 Ipswich woman who punched partner in face is ordered to pay compensation
- 8 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 9 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces Christmas show supporting young Suffolk musicians
More details can be found at the Highways Agency’s Traffic Information website at www.highways.gov.uk