Evacuees called to Stowmarket show
YOUNG and willing evacuees are being sought to complete the cast for a new production of the wartime musical Blitz.Stowmarket Operatic Dramatic Society is staging the show at The Regal Theatre, in Stowmarket from May 5 to 10.
By Jo Macdonald
YOUNG and willing evacuees are being sought to complete the cast for a new production of the wartime musical Blitz.
Stowmarket Operatic Dramatic Society will be staging the show at the town's Regal Theatre from May 5 to 10. The main characters have already been cast for the production – and the hunt is now on to find the children to complete the picture.
Auditions are being held for eager young actors between 2pm and 4pm at Combs Middle School, Stowmarket, on January 26.
You may also want to watch:
There will be two pre-audition evenings at 7.30pm on January 20 and January 22 at Chilton Hall Primary School.
Children wanting to be part of Blitz will need to be strong singers, aged six to 12, and be available for regular rehearsals on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. The production is also short of men, so youngsters are asked to bring along their talented dads.
- 1 Man left with life-changing injuries following stabbing in Ipswich
- 2 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 3 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
- 4 'Controlling' man locked girlfriend in house
- 5 Mum opens eco-friendly refill store thanks to savings and public donations
- 6 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 7 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 8 Summertime Ipswich to bring the party to the Waterfront next month
- 9 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 10 Extra police patrols to be carried out in Ipswich following stabbing
Blitz is a musical by Lionel Bart, who also wrote Oliver.
The songs are less well-known than those of his more famous musical, but are no less catchy.
One of the best-known numbers for the children to sing is Mums And Dads.
The show's story follows the highs and lows of East End families the Blitzens and the Lockes during the war.
The children of families living in the East End are evacuated for their own safety and set off singing We're Going To The Country.
Anyone wanting more information about the Stowmarket Operatic Dramatic Society or the auditions should contact Lynda Phillips on 01449 777050 or Anne Lilley on 01449 673597.