Ex-Ipswich player Alex Henshall faces town centre speeding court case
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Former Ipswich player Alex Henshall has asked for more time after being summonsed to court for allegedly travelling at nearly twice the speed limit near the town centre.
The 22-year-old is accused of doing 53mph in a 30mph zone.
The incident is said to have occurred in Commercial Road and involved Henshall’s Mercedes with his personalised number plate HE11NSH.
Henshall, whose address was given as Regatta Quay, Key Street, Ipswich, did not appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court for the first hearing of his case. No plea was entered.
However, Henshall requested further disclosure about the alleged offence to be made to him.
You may also want to watch:
The case has been adjourned until April 26.
The alleged offence is said to have occurred shortly before 9.30pm on September 7 last year.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 4 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 9 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 10 Ipswich parents can 'survive not thrive' on £15 half-term food vouchers
It is said his speed was recorded by a hand-hand speed camera.
In February it was announced Ipswich Town had terminated the winger’s contract by mutual consent at the start of February after making just five appearances for the Blues in less than two years.
Last week he signed for Kilmarnock, managed by former Huddersfield, Birmingham and Blackpool boss Lee Clark, until the end of the season.
Ipswich signed Henshall from Manchester City in the summer of 2014,
His only start came in the 1-0 Capital One Cup loss to Crawley in August 2014.
Henshall also made two appearances while on loan at Blackpool at the start of 2015.
He was once hailed as the next Ryan Giggs and almost signed for Manchester United..
As a 15-year-old he sat in the board room at Old Trafford with pen in hand ready to sign for the Red Devils.
However he got up and walked out on Sir Alex Ferguson without explanation.
A week later Henshall signed for Manchester City.