Ex-Ipswich Town winger banned after his Mercedes was clocked doing 53mph in 30mph limit
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Former Blues’ player Alex Henshall has been banned from the road after travelling at 53mph in a 30mph limit near Ipswich town centre.
The 22-year-old, who was released by the Town in February, was disqualified from driving for six months by Ipswich magistrates.
Henshall was caught in Commercial Road shortly before 9.30pm on September 7 last year. He was in a Mercedes with his personalised number plate HE11NSH.
A hand-held camera was used to register his speed.
Henshall, whose address was given as Regatta Quay, Key Street, Ipswich, had originally pleaded not guilty and elected for a trial.
You may also want to watch:
However, he failed to appear at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court yesterday for the trial.
It transpired his legal representatives had tried to change his plea to guilty by post, which Henshall was unable to do unless he appeared in person.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 8 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 9 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
Therefore, the hearing went ahead without him and he was found guilty in his absence.
Henshall already had points on his licence and it was endorsed with a further six points which took him on to the level of points for a driving ban.
In addition to his six-month disqualification Henshall was fined £390 and ordered to pay £150 costs, as well as £40 to the victims’ fund.
In February it was announced Ipswich Town had terminated the winger’s contract by mutual consent at the start of February after he made just five appearances for the Blues in less than two years.
He subsequently signed for Kilmarnock until the end of the season and made two appearances for the club.
Ipswich signed Henshall from Manchester City in the summer of 2014,
The former England Under-17 international’s only start came in the 1-0 Capital One Cup loss to Crawley in August 2014.
Henshall also made two appearances while on loan at Blackpool at the start of 2015.
He was once hailed as the next Ryan Giggs and almost signed for Manchester United.
As a 15-year-old he sat in the board room at Old Trafford with pen in hand ready to sign for the Red Devils.
However he got up and walked out on Sir Alex Ferguson without explanation.
A week later Henshall signed for Manchester City.