Ex-Navy skipper at helm of Mid Suffolk
A FORMER naval captain and Ipswich magistrate has been appointed the new leader of Mid Suffolk District Council.The appointment of Roger Saunders MBE was announced on Thursday at the council's Annual General Meeting at its offices in Needham Market.
A FORMER naval captain and Ipswich magistrate has been appointed the new leader of Mid Suffolk District Council.
The appointment of Roger Saunders MBE was announced on Thursday at the council's Annual General Meeting at its offices in Needham Market.
Cllr. Saunders was awarded an MBE for services to the British community, which he described as "a most unexpected honour".
Councillor Sarah Mitchell was appointed deputy leader.
You may also want to watch:
Babergh District Council also elected new Chairmen on Thursday.
The new Chairman of the council is John Wyn Roberts. Sue Wigglesworth was elected Vice-Chairman.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 4 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 5 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 6 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 8 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 9 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 10 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
Babergh councillors also voted in the heads of the various council committees. John Wyn Roberts said: "I am very much looking to working with them all during the next 12 months."