Ex Northgate High School pupil David Gauke tells Conservative Party conference: ‘I want to be chancellor’
- Credit: Warren Page
Former Ipswich schoolboy David Gauke told a fringe event at Conservative Party conference he would like to be chancellor.
The work and pensions secretary, who attended Northgate High School, revealed his ambition during a fringe event hosted by HuffPost UK.
He said: “Maybe one day actually to be honest, maybe one day I would like to do that.
“I work very closely with Philip [Hammond], I think he is an excellent chancellor and just what we want.
“Years down the line when the family is a bit older then maybe one day I would like to do that.”
You may also want to watch:
Asked whether he could be PM he answered: “I am really not sure I would ever want to do it.
“There are huge qualities and attributes that you need to be prime minister.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 3 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 6 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 7 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
“I think I am probably missing several of them.
He added: “But one of them is a really strong desire to do the job.”