Ex Northgate High School pupil David Gauke tells Conservative Party conference: ‘I want to be chancellor’
- Credit: Warren Page
Former Ipswich schoolboy David Gauke told a fringe event at Conservative Party conference he would like to be chancellor.
The work and pensions secretary, who attended Northgate High School, revealed his ambition during a fringe event hosted by HuffPost UK.
He said: “Maybe one day actually to be honest, maybe one day I would like to do that.
“I work very closely with Philip [Hammond], I think he is an excellent chancellor and just what we want.
“Years down the line when the family is a bit older then maybe one day I would like to do that.”
Asked whether he could be PM he answered: “I am really not sure I would ever want to do it.
“There are huge qualities and attributes that you need to be prime minister.
- 1 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 2 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 3 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 6 £1million house with extensive grounds up for sale near Christchurch Park
- 7 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 8 Hopes pre-built extension plans will attract bigger acts to the Regent
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Meet John Cook the next mayor of Ipswich – and a Norwich City supporter
“I think I am probably missing several of them.
He added: “But one of them is a really strong desire to do the job.”