Ex-Northgate High School teacher, Bruce Karwoski, accused of sex offences against girls appears in court
- Credit: Archant
A former head of science at Ipswich’s Northgate High School has appeared in court charged with 15 sex offences involving two girls.
Bruce Karwoski, of All Saints Road, Creeting St Mary, gave no formal indication of pleas to the accusations during a hearing before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court which lasted less than 10 minutes.
The 52-year-old is accused of engaging in sexual activity with a girl aged 13 to 17 while abusing a position of trust.
Seven of the allegations relate to one of the females. The remaining eight involved the second girl.
The accusations Karwoski faces date back a number of years.
The court was told Karwoski – who is understood to have taught chemistry - no longer works at Northgate as he had resigned from his post.
The charges are so serious the matter must be heard at crown court.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 3 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 4 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 5 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 6 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 7 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 8 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
Karwoski was given conditional bail and told his next appearance would be at Ipswich Crown Court on April 12.
Karwoski was arrested on January 15.
After being charged he was released on bail until his first court hearing which took place yesterday.
After Karwoski was charged David Hutton, headteacher of Northgate High School, said: “An historical allegation against a member of staff was received by Northgate High School in early 2015.
“Immediate steps were taken to make the Local Authority Designated Officer and police aware.
“All advice and procedures were subsequently followed and we have co-operated fully with the police throughout their investigation.
“The person against whom the allegation was made is no longer employed at the school.”