Ex teacher has sex charges discharged
A FORMER deputy headteacher who faced allegations of indecent assault on a child has been discharged from court.After a lengthy legal argument yesterday, Judge John Holt ruled it was unfair to proceed with the trial of Bryan Nelson, 71, of Woodbridge Road, Ipswich.
A FORMER deputy headteacher who faced allegations of indecent assault on a child has been discharged from court.
After a lengthy legal argument yesterday, Judge John Holt ruled it was unfair to proceed with the trial of Bryan Nelson, 71, of Woodbridge Road, Ipswich.
Judge Holt, sitting at Bury St Edmunds Crown Court, said any trial would be unfair and agreed to an application by Mr Nelson's barrister Chester Beyts to have the case "stayed".
He said the trial would be unfair for a variety of reasons, including a complex case in which Mr Nelson claimed his alleged victim had been demanding money.
Judge Holt said he was also concerned by the length of time the allegations had taken to come to light and the "increasingly frail" state of the defendant.
He added: "I'm satisfied that Mr Nelson cannot have a fair trial and I'm satisfied that the court should allow the application and stay this trial. The defendant is discharged."
- 1 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 3 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 4 Mum-of-four organises uniform pop-up market
- 5 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
- 6 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 7 Homes proposed for two sites at Purdis Farm
- 8 Architects plan to create town hall wedding venue
- 9 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 10 Man wanted in connection with Ipswich assault arrested
Mr Nelson, who was the former deputy headteacher of Chantry High School in Ipswich, had been accused of indecent assault on a boy between February 1, 1983, and February 28, 1987, and buggery on the same boy between February 20, 1984, and January 1, 1985.