Facebook group for Ipswich women living in America go on second big outing together – to New Orleans
- Credit: Archant
Members of a Facebook group bringing together women from Ipswich who now live in America have got together for a trip to New Orleans.
The ‘Yes! We are from Ipswich” Facebook group was set up in 2014 by mother-of-two Jane Tuohey who moved to America 34 years ago and now lives in Carrboro, North Carolina.
In 2015 the women got together for their first big outing together, a trip to Las Vegas - this month they visited New Orleans.
Mrs Touhey said they were a close knit bunch.
“We had a brilliant time, she said.
“Even during the year there are little meet ups, the ladies are so close. The wonderful thing about this group is that all through the year, the ladies get together whenever they can.
You may also want to watch:
“We are now in the midst of planning next year’s trip to San Antonio in Texas.”
While in New Orleans, the group of 16 women, joined by their husbands and friends, went for a jazz luncheon on the Natchez steamboat before boarding a Hop on Hop Off open-top sightseeing tour bus.
- 1 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
Mrs Tuohey said: “A few of us went on a horse and carriage ride throughout the French Quarter and we also walked around the surrounding areas.
“Others visited plantation homes, museums and other destinations.
“A group of 27 went on the steam boat and then went out on the town in the evening.
“We then walked down the river with our Union Jack and sang Rule Britannia. We had a blast.”
The Facebook group now has 270 members, so many that Mrs Tuohey has had to make it a private group and vet those who want to join.
“I have had to put it on secret because it is so much work,” she said.
“I really wanted to make sure the group is only for Ipswich people who have a real, solid connection to the town.”
The group includes members from all over the United States.
“Most of us still have our English accents though,” said Mrs Tuohey.
“You can see by our t-shirts we are still so proud to be from Ipswich. We are a group of very patriotic ladies and are very proud of the fact we are from England and from Ipswich as well.
As well as next year’s trip to San Antonio, they are also planning a cruise in the Caribbean in 2019.