Families flee house fire
FAMILIES had to be evacuated early today as fire tore through the first-floor and roof of a terraced house in Felixstowe.Firefighters were called to the property in Cornwall Road, Walton, after a blaze started in a bathroom at 2.
FAMILIES had to be evacuated early today as fire tore through the first-floor and roof of a terraced house in Felixstowe.
Firefighters were called to the property in Cornwall Road, Walton, after a blaze started in a bathroom at 2.15am.
Crews feared the flames, which had already spread to the roof of the house, could spread through the air vents into the lofts of adjoining properties.
They immediately evacuated three other families to ensure that no-one was in danger.
You may also want to watch:
Neighbours Jimmy Fountain and Sheila Masters, and their three children, two 11-year-olds and a nine-year-old, were among those who had to leave their homes while firefighters tackled the blaze.
"The fire crews said they were afraid the fire could spread and said we should get out at once," said Mr Fountain.
- 1 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 2 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 5 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 8 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
"We just took the children and sat in our van for a couple of hours until they said it was all right to go back in. It was quite worrying for a time.
"Families the other side of us also had to be evacuated, but half the street was up and outside because of the noise and lights and everything that was going on.
"I feel really sorry for the people next door because their property has been badly damaged and they have got to come back and face that. We were lucky – the fire service did an excellent job all round and it didn't spread to our roof.
"We have some smoke damage and the stink is awful. We have got to wash all the walls and furnishings."
The house where the fire is started is occupied by a couple. It is understood they have gone to stay with family nearby.
Today there were tarpaulins across the roof to protect the damaged area and keep out the rain.
A fire service spokesman said three fire crews – two from Felixstowe and one from Ipswich headquarters – had attended the incident, which took an hour to extinguish.
It was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault. Officers had used cutting gear to get to the fire and an area of roof three metres by nine metres had been affected by the flames.